MARION -District Attorney Ted Bell”s Office left a man in jail for 2 years, 6 months and 3 days awaiting trial. This month the jury found the defendant NOT GUILTY on all charges. Darryl Maurice Deboise had been charged by Bell”s office with:
- attempted forcible rape for an incident that allegedly happened on Oct. 11, 2018,
- felony obstruction of justice, and
- habitual felon.
The district attorney’s office decided to prosecute the case despite knowing:
1. the alleged victim has schizophrenia with symptoms that may include:
- Delusions. These are false beliefs that are not based in reality.
- Hallucinations. These usually involve seeing or hearing things that don’t exist. …
- Disorganized thinking (speech). …
- Extremely disorganized or abnormal motor behavior.
2. the alleged victim reported that the voices had told her to file charges,
3. the recorded visitation calls at the jail revealed the victim recanted and the defendant encouraged her to report that to the authorities that the incident did not happen,
4. there was no medical exam,
5. there was no rape kit, and
6. there were no photos of the crime scene.
Deboise was represented by defense attorney Garland F. Byers, Jr. The jury deliberated approximately 30 minutes before finding Deboise NOT GUILTY.
Editor’s Note: Ted Bell was elected District Attorney for District 41 which includes Rutherford and McDowell Counties.